What is RIDDOR? The new Regulations


The Reporting of Injuries Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) came into effect on 1 April 1996. The Regulations only apply to England, Scotland and Wales (Northern Ireland will develop similar proposals at a later date). They replace the 1985 RIDDOR Regulations.


Who should report an incident?


The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), place a legal duty on:

  • employers;
  • self-employed people;
  • people in control of premises;


Why should I report?


Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. The information enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities to identify where and how risks arise, and to investigate serious accidents. They can then help you and provide advice on how to reduce injury, and ill health in your workplace.


What must I report?


As an employer, a person who is self-employed, or someone in control of work premises, you have legal duties under RIDDOR that require you to report and record some work-related accidents by the quickest means possible.


What must I do?


If you are an employer


If you are an employer, you must report any work-related deaths, injuries, cases of disease, or near misses involving your employees wherever they are working by reporting the incident as soon as possible.

If you are in control of premises

If you are in control of premises, you must report any work-related deaths and injuries to members of the public and self-employed people on your premises, and near miss incidents that occur on your premises.

If you are self-employed

If you are working in someone else’s premises and suffer either a major injury or an over-three-day injury, then the person in control of the premises will be responsible for reporting, so, where possible, you should make sure they know about it.

If there is a reportable accident while you are working on your own premises, or if a doctor tells you that you have a work-related disease or condition, then you need to report it.

If you are a gas supplier

If you are a distributor, filler, importer or supplier of flammable gas and you learn, either directly or indirectly that someone has died or suffered a major injury in connection with the gas you distributed, filled, imported or supplied, then this must be reported immediately.

If you are a gas fitter

If you are an installer of gas appliances registered with the Council for Registered Installers (Gas Safe Register), you must provide details of any gas appliances or fittings that you consider to be dangerous, to such an extent that people could die or suffer a major injury, because the design, construction, installation, modification or servicing could result in:

  • an accidental leakage of gas;
  • inadequate combustion of gas or;
  • inadequate removal of products of the combustion of gas.

If you are an employee


If you are an employee that has been injured at work, seen a dangerous occurrence, or your doctor has certified that you have a work related reportable disease, you must inform your employer or the person in control of the premises as it is their responsibility to report the incident.



You must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrence. This must include:

  • the date and method of reporting
  • the date, time and place of the event
  • personal details of those involved
  • a brief description of the nature of the event or disease.


Downloads - FREE